What is it?
Creating Our Future was launched on 28 July 2021 by An Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD and Minister Simon Harris TD. This initiative seeks to initiate a national conversation about research in Ireland, inviting the public to submit ideas to the Creating Our Future website in response to the question:
“Tell us your idea for what researchers in Ireland should explore to create a better future”.
Your idea could be based on:
- a challenge or opportunity you see for yourself, your community, Ireland or the world;
- a topic you are curious or passionate about and would like researchers to explore.
What does this initiative aim to achieve?
Creating Our Future aims to encourage researchers and the public to engage in dialogue and to develop a better understanding of each other’s perspectives on current and future research. The Irish Research Council encourages you to contribute to the conversation and make your research heard in any way you can.
Creating Our Future will result in a report to be submitted to the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and will influence future national policy, so it is important that the public understand and engage with the potential for all disciplines to support a better future.
We encourage you to contribute to this exciting initiative and to make your special case as to why research is vital to Irish society and its future. There are many ways you can do this, such as:
- Initiating conversations with your friends, family, and/or community, to encourage them to submit ideas to the Creating Our Future website.
- Promoting engagement in the initiative using the example of your own research on social media / or through blog posts
- Leading or participating in a public engagement exercise by your host institution.
The IRC always encourages awardees to let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are running public engagement events. During the course of this initiative, events will be posted on the Creating Our Future website. For details on how to submit an event or to contact the Creating Our Future team, contact email@example.com.
We hope that you will consider participating in this public conversation.